The boot screen design proposal has undergone a minor revision since this post was written. Check out the revised boot screen/GDM screen by clicking your way over to this post.
The Ubuntu design team have published mock-ups of the proposed Ubuntu 9.10 Boot and GDM screens.
In a post on the Ubuntu-art mailing list, Mat Tomaszewski revealed the proposed designs, and confirmed the plan for Ubuntu to use a new boot-screen manager, replacing Usplash with Xsplash.
The initial assumptions, however, remain unchanged. The Foundations Team's goal is to start the X server as fast as possible (3-4 seconds on a reference machine) and therefore, Usplash will not be used in most cases. A new splash screen (Xsplash) will be developed on top of the X server and enable a smooth transition into the GDM and the user session.
Splash Screen: -
GDM Screen: -
You can view more of the designs @ https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Karmic/Boot/Demo.
I think it looks really sleek, though it doesn’t blend too well with Ubuntu’s current default ‘Human’ theme. Perhaps there is a new theme in the works afterall…
10 comments:
I like it. It doesn't totally abandon the brown theme, but isn't the same brown everybody's used to.
I like the user login list with icons/avatars. I'd prefer that for the family computer than just the text boxes to type into
I'm pretty sure a reworking of the theme was confirmed a few months ago. I thought I saw it on digg.
{irony}Wow!{/irony}
Re: the "new" theme. Shuttleworth has said that the total visual overhaul promised for 8.10 then 9.04 and then pushed back to 9.10 will now likely surface in 10.04 or 10.10 to give the Ubuntu Design team more time to fully... er design i guess!
His beloved Ayatana project (responsible for the 'new' notifications) are also working on other 'new' features too and i guess he's wanting it all to coincide.
Well... What can i say, another great post that i come across! I really do admire the formation of this blog with all sincerity really i do! Great job! Keep up the good work! :)
Looks like "Dust" brown which is an awesome theme available in gnome-themes-ubuntu
I'm just sad not too much is being done for Kubuntu. Other than that, it looks stunning, really competing for the mainstream.
Great post! I'm new to this blog but it seems very nice. Keep up the good work!
Thanks for the kind words, Resu!
Please tell me their FINALLY going to do something about the fugly dualboot DOS look.
In Mandriva you can change teh background and change the order of the OS you want to boot very easily.
Ubuntu seems to think that the black and white text is 'user friendly' and am stunned that this hasnt been changed yet.
Post a Comment