Display the weather and a four day forcast right on your desktop with this minimal screenlet.
I first noticed this screenlet in an screenshot on DeviantArt by BilliShere and fell in love with it's simplicity.
You can download the screenlet from: http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Wide+weather?content=77168
Installation
Install it in the usual way by dragging and dropping it into the 'Screenlets Manager' window (Or Universal Applet's Window if you're using UA).
Launch it with a double click and drag it to the position where you want it.
Configuration
To get the forcast for your city right click the screenlet and click 'Zip Code'. If you're living in the ol' USA then enter your zip code, if you're living elsewhere you can get you "zip code" by doing the following: -
1. Head on over to Weather.com
2. Enter your city in the search box and hit return.
3. Select the correct city.
4. In the Address/URL bar of your browser you'll notice something similar to this (varies depending on location): -
http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/local/SWXX0022?lswe=norrkoping&from=searchbox_localwx
5. Copy the code after 'local/'. In the example above it would be SWXX0022.
6. Enter this into the 'Zip Code' part of the screenlet and click 'Apply'.
Appearance
The preferences dialog (right click > preferences) allows you to tweak the colours of the text and icons, the font an what sections are displayed.
To get it looking as per the screenshots above, just turn the opacity down to '0' on both the background and border colour.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


12 comments:
What is the GNOME theme in that screenshot?
Maybe answering my own question but it looks like Shiki-Colors. Slight differences though.
Ha good guess - it is very similar, but the icon is from 'MashUp' (Mashup is just a random assortment of different icons from different themes. For the full theme that the icon is taken from, you'll want to check out 'Meliae' @ http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Meliae?content=88482 )
The panel theme is Dust with the dust .png background.
Lol. this is my first time being mentioned in a blog! :D thanks!
If you guys ever want a really good looking icon theme for gnome i would suggest getting the latest build of eikon from this link: http://drop.io/fmrbpensador
no problem @ Billi_Shere - it's quite possibly the sexiest weather screenlet there is! I love it!
Excellent blog. Always excited for new posts.
I like this widget and I hadn't had any problems until recently when two instances seem to be loading. One on top of the other. I have to right click and close an instance. Ever have this problem?
I have it set up to autostart the widget. Can't imagine why it's happening all of a sudden.
@ danootz - i had that problem at first, but if you right click on the duplicate screenlet and choose 'delete screenlet' it should solve it. (it doesn't delete the screenlet, only that instance of it)
I had to laugh- I live in Exeter, UK and the screenshot shows some pretty typical weather!
I downloaded it (the screenlet, not the weather) and was a bit :-( to see it came with just a default theme. I looked around a bit but couldn't find the one in the screenshot - I know it's transparent and perhaps difficult to find ;-) but any pointers would be welcome, thanks!
An *Excellent* blog btw!
@ larryfroot
I'm not even sure if the screenlet updates - always seems to say "rain" :P
joking aside, to get it like the screenshot - just choose a theme that has a "white" icon set (if you want white icons, obv) and turn the opacity settings down to 0 on both the background and the border colour and you'll be left with icons!
Thanks mate - 2 mins work and sorted!
is there a way to get farenheit instead of celcius?
To get Fahrenheit, right click on the screenlet, select Options > Weather, and then un-check "use metric over imperial"
Post a Comment